KiwiTech Develops the iPad Edition of The Pillars of the Earth
By Edward C. Baig, USA TODAY- July 20, 2010
The $12.99 Amplified edition of The Pillars of the Earth combines written text with scenes and bonus material from the Starz miniseries.
- Readers can pause, tap on one of the thumbnail- buttons embedded in the text, and watch a clip.
- More than three hours of videos are included in the Amplified Edition overall, 30 to 40 minutes of which are scenes from the miniseries.
- Videos run 30 seconds to 3 minutes.
- Behind-the-scenes videos with the cast and filmmakers, including:
- Ian McShane
- Rufus Sewell
- Donald Sutherland
- Director Sergio Mimica-Gezzan
- Executive producer Ridley Scott
- Plus author Ken Follett
MORE: How it all comes together
- Original musical score from the soundtrack.
- Interactive "character tree" designed to look like a stained-glass window, plus costume and set sketches.
The first chapter of Follett's next book, September's Fall of Giants.
How the price compares
The Pillars app can be downloaded starting today in Apple's App Store (as opposed to the iBookstore).
Pillars app: $12.99
Print paperback edition: $9.99
Movie tie-in eBook: $7.99
Regular Pillars eBook: $6.99